About Me

My photo
I am a small town girl living the big city life with my superhero hubby and our superhero- in-training son! I love Jesus and junior mints and have a secret addiction to Neil Diamond and Cat Steven's music. I love a good theme party, the smell of pretty stationary, a good book and a glass of ice tea with an orange slice in it. I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday Meal Plans

There are many things in this world I am not good at.  A few things that come to mind are things that involve grace or coordination also anything involving yard work, gardening, marathons or pumping gas.  The good news is I excel at many other things but God especially gifted me with the ability to plan and implement.  Since I love to cook I am able to put my organizational skills to good use every week when I plan my family's meals and superhero hubby's lunches.  Tonight I'm keeping it simple with some fish tacos but I wanted to share a few of the recipes that will be making guest appearances at our table this week!

Sweet and Spicy Chicken Stir-Fry  
(this is from my freezer swap group compliments of my friend Krystal at the T-Shirt Mama http://www.thetshirtmama.com/ and I cannot wait to try it!)

Ingredients: 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 cup apricot preserves
3/4 tbsp. cider vinegar
6 tbsp. grated ginger
1/2 tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 medium carrots cut into thin strips
1 cup snow peas
1/2 cup frozen broccoli

Directions:  Cut chicken into 1/4 inch wide strips. Cook chicken in olive oil until no longer pink and transfer to a plate.  Add veggies to oil, tossing about 2 minutes.  Return chicken to skillet and add stir fry sauce.  Cook 2-3 minutes more until veggies are done.  Serve over rice.

White Bean-Green Pepper Salad with Mandarin Oranges and Chives
(this recipe is from my favorite cookbook, Robin Miller Quick Fix Meals and I am looking forward to trying it too!)

Ingredients:  Two 15 ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
One 11 ounce can mandarin oranges in light syrup
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:   Combine beans, bell pepper and chives in a large bowl.  Strain the oranges, reserving liquid from the can and add oranges to bean mixture.  Transfer the reserved liquid to a small bowl.  Whisk in the oil, vinegar and mustard, pour over the bean mixture and stir to combine.  Season with salt & pepper.

Two -Cabbage Asian Slaw with Sesame Seeds
(another good one from Robin Miller Quick Fix Meals and I plan to serve it tonight alongside my fish tacos!)

Ingredients:  1 tbsp. sesame seeds
1 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
1 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage
1 cup shredded carrots
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup light mayo
2 tbsp. rice wine, mirin or white wine vinegar
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
Time saver tip:  Buy shredded cabbage from the produce section of the grocery store or substitute one 10 ounce bag of broccoli slaw mix for the cabbage.

Directions:  Place the sesame seeds in a small, dry skillet, set over medium heat and toast until seeds are golden, 3 minutes, shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning.  Remove from heat and set aside.  In a large bowl, combine both cabbages, the carrots, and cilantro.  Set aside.  In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, rice wine, sesame oil and red pepper.  Add to the cabbage mixture and toss to combine (if you want more may add it here for creamier slaw).  Fold in the toasted sesame seeds and season to taste with salt and black pepper. 

I hope you try one or all of these and as always if you have a healthy recipe you'd like to share with me I WOULD LOVE IT so send it my way!!

2 comments:

  1. I love that there are people in the world like you- people that not only can plan and implement, but are so good at it they have time to write a blog to help those of us who are pathetic at it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I write the blog as therapy so I won't snack while my son naps. How's that for real mom truth? Hahahahah! :)

    ReplyDelete