About Me

My photo
I am a small town girl living the big city life with my superhero hubby and our superhero- in-training son! I love Jesus and junior mints and have a secret addiction to Neil Diamond and Cat Steven's music. I love a good theme party, the smell of pretty stationary, a good book and a glass of ice tea with an orange slice in it. I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Cheaters never prosper and neither do pouters

What a morning! I was horrible to my husband, short with my son and taking on facial expressions that were sure to leave some serious permanent frown lines.  I weighed in, felt defeated, looked around the house at all the things that are being neglected because I'm choosing to either work out or spend time with my family and so I proceeded to have a massive mommy meltdown. 

Thankfully, my superhero hubby is a champ who hugged me, spoke truth to me and told me that laundry doesn't matter, trucks on the living room floor don't matter, fruit loops stuck to the floorboard of our car do not matter.  What matters is our family's health and how we love one another.  He's right you know.  And what's worse is I'm studying that every single morning in 1 Corinthians 13: 1-3 which states " If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing". 

Double Ouch. I can have the cleanest home, most organized pantry, all the laundry done and meals planned; I can serve my community and church, take a new mom a meal but if I'm not speaking kindly to my husband, if I'm short tempered, angry towards my son or even unkind to myself then none of it matters.  My life is messy and I don't mean my house, I mean my heart.  But I'm taking it one day at a time and with some coffee, Jesus and fierce determination I know I will be where I want to be inside and out.

I'm done pouting. I did my workout and was encouraged that in 2 weeks I have doubled my distance on the treadmill and have started running instead of just walking. Wow! I also wanted to share what I have eaten for lunch now twice this week it's so good and easy for this momma to throw together!

Tomato Cucumber Sandwich



Ingredients: Tomato slices, thinly sliced English cucumber, hummus, shredded carrots and whole grain bread.

Toast the bread, spread hummus on each piece of bread and top with tomato & cucumber slices and carrots. Sprinkle salt and pepper on tomato slices and red pepper flakes on cucumber slices.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. yum-I'm having that for lunch SOON! and thanks for the convicting words/reminder..."I can have the cleanest home, most organized pantry, all the laundry done and meals planned; I can serve my community and church, take a new mom a meal but if I'm not speaking kindly to my husband, if I'm short tempered, angry towards my son or even unkind to myself then none of it matters."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I resonate so closely with your post. My study this week of Corinthians has been very eye opening - or perhaps I should say ear opening. I have allowed my words to fall without consideration towards my husband and children, as I go about focusing on some of the externals in my life, and the illumination of the distance I have placed between pure love and my day to day has been astonishing. Thank you for sharing as we all move closer toward the light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this! something i could definitely work on as well. that hubby of yours is a wise man ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly Steph, my afternoon was really a stellar example of how much I have to grow in "love is patient love is kind" etc. My oh my how whiny children and lack of sleep bring out the sinner in me! Love your transparency on this journey toward being refined by Him!

    ReplyDelete